Archive for May 2009
Here is the picture of the quilt I created for my daughter’s Chupa. It was part of the “ceiling” of the Chupa.
The wedding finally came and passed (more on that another time). Below is a picture of my daughter in the wedding dress I made! Yay!
Lately I’ve been getting a lot of positive feedback on my Holocaust Quilt. Thank you. It’s a very precious project to me.
Tools that I haven’t mentioned because you all knew about them and I think are great:
Iron Safe: Our best on-line seller, covers the sole plate of the iron with a Teflon cover that makes it safe to iron on anything without the shine or scorch.
Tailor Tacker is a neat little gadget that is used in dressmaking but works just as well in quilting to accurately mark your quarter seam corners.
120 Inch Tape Measures are simply great for measuring larger quilts accurately. When I was trying to measure the chupa quilt I had to keep on flipping my 60″ and coming up with different numbers. I now have a 120″.
We’ve been very busy with alot of happy occasions in the past month. my daughter-in-law had a boy, her third. my daughter had her first baby, a boy. For us that meant 2 circumcisions. one was in Lakewood NJ and one in Cleveland Ohio. we also had Passover which is always a well attended affair in my house. My son in highland park made a bar mitzvah for his second son and that was a weekend affair. My daughter came in from Argentina and we are happily busy with her. Tomorrow night we are having an affair for redeeming the first born. on may 13 my daughter is getting married. Oh what fun!!!! But exhausting.
If given the choice between sewing [even with a deadline, my daughters dress] or quilting, there is’nt much of a toss up. But since I have to justify quilting instead of sewing, I got involved into making a chupa for her. A chupa is a covering that jewish brides and grooms have over their heads during the ceremony. I wanted to try the Ricky Tims kaleidescope. It came out beautiful! I gave it to our longarm quilter to finish and now its full-time on the bridal gown!
I’ve been working on my daughters dress. The train, which is the focal point of the gown, is finished but now I have to figure out how to attach it to the skirt. I have some organza flowers from the train that I think I will use; pictures to come. I used one pattern for the bodice and another for the sleeves and they are not going together that great, so that’s the project for tonight.